It's been five years since Tom Holland debuted as Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War. In an era of seemingly never-ending superhero tenures, five years doesn't seem that long, and fans have been eager to see where Holland's version of the Wall-Crawler will go after Spider-Man: No Way Home.
Recently, however, it sounded as though the actor might be ready to hang up the tights.
While being interviewed for a GQ profile, Holland stated that, if he were to keep playing Spider-Man in his 30s, he'd be doing something wrong. The statement led people to believe that the actor's time as Peter Parker was coming to an end, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Holland, Jacob Batalon and Zendaya sat down for an interview with Extra to promote No Way Home. During their talk, Holland was asked about his statement to GQ regarding his Spider-Man future. The actor revealed that his comments had been misconstrued, and expressed his willingness to return to the role if Sony and Marvel Studios were to want him back:
"[That's] just a perfect example of how everything you say is always misconstrued, and no one actually speaks the truth. I don't know what the future of Spider-Man looks like. I don't know whether I'm going to be a part of it. Spider-Man will always live on in me, and I know that [Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal] and the studio are keen to figure out what the next chapter of Spider-Man looks like. If that happens to be with me, then that's very exciting. But if it's time for me to walk away, then I'll do so proudly."
Holland further clarified what he meant by his statement, explaining that he was referring to giving other people the opportunity to reinvent the Wall-Crawler for the big screen.
"[What] I was referring to in that interview where I said 'If I was playing Spider-Man when I'm 30, I've done something wrong,' is [that] I'd be taking up an opportunity [for] someone to come in and change what being Spider-Man means. Spider-Man could be more diverse; it could be a female character — it could be anything. So that's what I was saying, and thanks to that journalist for changing that. I really appreciate it."
Holland then played around with ideas for the future of the Spider-Man franchise, stating he would like to see live-action versions of Miles Morales and Silk, as well as a Jackpot movie.
Funnilly enough, it was revealed last year that Sony had tapped Arrow's Marc Guggenheim to develop a Jackpot film, based on the superhero of the same name created for Spider-Man comic books by Dan Slott and Phil Jimenez. For those unaware, Jackpot is a superhero identity that was taken up by two characters, Sara Ehret and Alana Jobson. Ehret, the most prominent of the two, is a mother who gets super-strength after being exposed to a gene-therapy experiment she was working on.
As for Holland, it appears the actor is willing to continue playing Spider-Man as long as Sony wants him to. Producer Amy Pascal told GQ that she was eager to make more Spider-Man films with the actor, so, for now, it seems that Holland's tenure as the Wall-Crawler is far from over.
Spider-Man: No Way Home is coming to theaters on December 17, 2021.